Welcome to the concluding part of this teaching. I strongly believe you are making positive decisions that will turn your family around for good. Being a good parent can be a challenging venture, but at the same time, it can be the most rewarding and fulfilling thing to do. The Scripture has a well detailed plan on how to successfully raise our children to be men and women of God. As good parents, the first thing to do is teach them the truth about God’s Word.
Furthermore, parenting skills and styles varies, and a parent with good parenting skills is referred to as a good parent. According to a research, the styles adopted by parents to training their children is in relations with their psychological and mental health while growing up as children. These styles include authoritative, authoritarian, permissive and uninvolved parenting.
Let Us Examine These Parenting Styles
- Authoritative Parenting. These parents rely on positive reinforcement and infrequent use of punishment. They are more aware of their children’s feelings and capabilities and support their autonomy development within reasonable limits. There is a give-and-take atmosphere involved in parent-child communication, both control and support are balanced.
- Authoritarian Parenting. These parents are very rigid and strict. Parents who practice this style have a non-negotiable set of rules and expectations that are strictly enforced and require rigid obedience. When rules are not followed, punishment are promoted to ensure future obedience.
- Permissive Parenting. In these setting, a child’s freedom and autonomy are highly valued, and parents tend to rely mostly on reasoning and explanation. Parents are undemanding, so there is little punishment or explicit rules in this style of parenting.
- Uninvolved Parenting. An uninvolved or neglectful parenting style is when parents are emotionally or physically absent. They are not responsive to their children’s needs and have little or no behavioral expectations.
Traits of Effective Parenting
- Love. Find out the love language of your child/children and do not compare them1 (John 4:10). Most importantly, ask God for the right way to love your child/children.
- Respect. Respect recognises the best in people (Philippians 2:3). One way to show respect to your child/children is to avoid cruel languages.
- Be a Role Model. A role model is one who charts the course, and he/she is a worthy example to others. So, be a role model to your child/children. If you speak positive words, they will do same, and if you tell lies, they will not own up in compromising situations (John13:15; Hebrews13:7).
- Set boundaries and limits. If you don’t set your own boundaries in your families, other influences, culture, extended family, or trends will set your children’s moral boundaries, and you may become surprised and dismayed by what they have learnt (Hebrews 12:1; Proverbs 14:7).
- Be a vision Supporter. Everything and everyone God created has a purpose for existence (Jeremiah 1:5). As a parent, your duty is to cheer your children and guide them prayerfully into becoming who God has ordained them to be. Be a diligent, committed follower and humble monitor.
- Maintain an atmosphere of gratitude. Gratitude is not just a polite reaction to something good. It is a cultivated habit and a vital part of healthy relationships. A gratitude lifestyle helps children and parents fight selfishness, which causes division among families and friends (Philippinas1:3-4).
However, in case you have failed as a parent in your assignment, you can start afresh, and God is ready to restore your lost years. So, if you are not born again, please say this prayer of faith: Lord Jesus Christ, I come to You today. I am a sinner, and I cannot help myself. Forgive me of my sins and cleanse me with Your Precious Blood. Deliver me from sin and satan to serve the Living God. From today, Lord Jesus, I accept You as my Lord and Saviour. Thank You Jesus for saving me! Now, I am Born Again.
Congratulations! You are now born again and a child of God. He loves you and will never leave or forsake you. With this, you are guaranteed all-round rest and peace, in Jesus’ name! Please write or call to share your testimonies with me through email@example.com OR 08141320204
For more insight, these books authored by me are available at the Dominion Bookstores in all Living Faith Churches and other leading Christian Bookstores: Understanding Motherhood, Building a successful family,and Success in Marriage.