Welcome to the concluding part of this article. I believe you now understand that emotions are not evil and have identified your temperaments. This week, we shall be considering the effects of emotions and how to manage them.
Emotions have short or longer impact on you as a woman and everyone you come in contact with. A wise man said, ‘Never make a permanent decision based on a temporary emotion’.
Effects of Emotions
- Emotions influence your speech. The Bible says: A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger (Proverbs 15:1). The tongue is the fruit-bearing member of your body; it either brings life or death (Proverbs 18:21). When you are angry, afraid, anxious or depressed, it affects what you say. So, if your emotions are not well managed, your speech will be like a tap whose control valve is spoilt.
- Destroys Relationship. Many relationships and destinies have been destroyed because emotions were badly managed. Parents who cannot control their anger plant evil seeds in their children, and such children end up being damaged (Proverbs 21:23). Broken homes were not just broken; they were broken because emotions were mismanaged either by the husband, wife or both. Some single ladies and young men have missed their future spouses for lack of control over their emotions. If that describes your situation, I believe God for a positive change of story for you in Jesus’ name.
How to manage your emotions?
- Maintain a quality walk with God. God created our emotions, and He can guide us through every emotion. Therefore, we should seek Him and let Him walk with us through.
- Feed constantly on the Word. God’s Word soothes every emotion. When you engage in daily shower and search of the Word, it builds a shield on your mind. Someone once asked Bishop David Oyedepo, ‘Do you ever have challenges?’ He replied,‘Maybe they came, and I never noticed them’. This response can be from the depth of revelation and light from the Word.
- Engage in Prayer. Jesus instructed us to watch and pray because the enemy will always be at one corner seeking whom to steal from. There is a need to pray at all times—prayers don’t just change situation; it also changes people (Luke 9:29). Instead of always reacting negatively to how you feel, turn it into a prayer point, and God is readily waiting to attend to them at all times.
- Watch your thoughts. Emotions are a result of what you think. If you think happiness, you will look and act happy, but if you think fear, anxiety or anger, you will act and look the same. Remember, you are what you think. So, set your mind on what you want to look like; get rid of negative emotions from your thoughts. Create memories, pictures of good and wonderful things you wish to see around you and think about them whenever you are confronted with a negative emotion.
Remember, you can never manage your emotions naturally as a woman; you need the help of the Holy Spirit. To access His help, you need to salvation. So, if you are not born again, please say this prayer of faith: Lord Jesus Christ, I come to You today. I am a sinner, and I cannot help myself. Forgive me of my sins and cleanse me with Your Precious Blood. Deliver me from sin and satan to serve the Living God. From today, Lord Jesus, I accept You as my Lord and Saviour. Thank You Jesus for saving me! Now, I am Born Again.
Congratulations! You are now born again and a child of God. He
loves you and will never leave or forsake you. With this, you are guaranteed all-round rest and peace, in Jesus’ name! Please write or call to share your testimonies with me through firstname.lastname@example.org OR 08141320204
For more insight, these books authored by me are available at
the Dominion Bookstores in all Living Faith Churches and other leading
Christian Bookstores: Understanding Motherhood, Building a Successful family and You Can Overcome Anxiety.