Peace and blessing, in the name of Jesus Christ! This month, we began by understanding our emotions and the actual reasons we were created with emotions. However, just knowing these alone is not all there is about emotions. We must also know how to control it and the danger signs to watch out for so we do not fall victims to the negative effect.
Firstly, let us understand some of the manifestations of uncontrolled emotions:
- Worries: Most people that worry a lot over little things are those who cannot control their emotions. Challenges occur daily, but worrying never bring solutions to them; rather, it makes you sorry, depressed and sad. Abraham was hundred years old without a child, but he did not give in to worries. Rather, the Bible says he was strong in faith, giving glory to God (Romans 4:20). That gave him the miracle he had long expected. One thing that worry does is that it ties you to the past, and those who are tied to the past never see or experience the good of the future.
- Jealousy: This is a very dangerous emotional defect. Jealousy might come when you feel others are getting ahead of you and when you feel insecure about their progress, or when you compare yourself with others. However, instead of being jealous of others, why not find out what is responsible for their constant progress and try to adopt the same. Also, learn to be happy for others so that the good happenings in their lives can as well be extended to you. The truth is: to be totally free from jealousy, you must ask God to reveal Himself to you and then live as you are destined to. Remember, jealousy always opens the door to the enemy. You will not be destroyed, in Jesus name!
- Anger: This comes out of a feeling of displeasure and lack of satisfaction. Everyone gets angry at one point or another, but our ability to put our anger in control proves our level of spiritual maturity. The Bible says, Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: Neither give place to the devil (Ephesians 4:26-27). Therefore, it is important to always keep your anger in check; try not to speak too often when angry and at that point, watch your actions. This will culminate in a distinguished life.
We have known some of the negative emotional outburst, but we must also learn how to keep our emotions balanced.
How to control your Emotions
- Fill your Mind with the Word of God: Emotion comes from the mind, and until the mind is renewed, you might not be able to gain a balance in your emotions. One way to renew your mind is to feed your mind daily with God’s Word. The Bible says, And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God (Romans 12:2). To be emotionally balanced, you need to read, meditate and practise the Word daily until your mind is saturated with it, and you become a practical example of the Word of God.
- Beware of Bitterness: As seen above, we can deduce that one major cause of anger and jealousy is bitterness. It is written, Looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled; (Hebrews 12:15). Bitterness embitters destiny, so flee from it. Do not let anyone or the successes of others break your heart; you do not have a spare, so guide your emotions with all sense of responsibility.
- Learn Contentment: Godliness with content, the Bible says, is great gain (1 Timothy 6:6). You do not have any reason to compare yourself with anyone. The phase you are in right now is good enough for your today. So, learn to handle it with joy and contentment while you look ahead to a better tomorrow.
- Be Prayerful: I have discovered that praying in the Holy Spirit is the best way to bring your emotions under control. It builds you up and diffuses every form of anxiety. Remember the Bible says, Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you (1 Peter 5:7). God cares about your spirit, soul and body; so, when you communicate your need for emotional balance to Him in prayers, He will surely grant you what you desire.
Today, I decree that whatever you might have lost in the past as a result of uncontrolled emotions, God will not only restore them to you, but according to Isaiah 61:7, He will give you double.
However, you must understand that there is a foundation to receiving help from God, and that is through Jesus Christ. You must first accept Christ as your Lord and personal Saviour by confessing and forsaking your sins. Therefore, if you have not done that or you have probably walked away from the vow you made to Him in the past, you have to say this prayer in faith: Dear Lord Jesus Christ, I come to You today. I am a sinner. Forgive me my sins and cleanse me with Your Blood. I accept You as my Lord and personal Saviour. Make me a child of God today. Thank You for delivering me from sin and satan to serve the living God, and thank You for accepting me into Your Kingdom.
Congratulations, you are now born again and a child of God. He loves you and will never leave or forsake you. With this, you are guaranteed all-round rest and peace, in Jesus name! Call or write to share your testimonies with me through firstname.lastname@example.org OR 07026385437, OR 08141320204. For more insight, these books authored by me are available at the Dominion Bookstores in all Living Faith Churches and other leading Christian Bookstores, The Dignity of a Believer, Make Your Life Count and Salvation Way of Escape.