I welcome you once again to the second phase of this interesting topic. Forgiveness is an action or a choice to release an offender from our punishment and entrust it all to God. Forgiveness is unconditional; we can forgive regardless of whether the offender apologises or takes responsibility. There are great benefits of forgiveness, so follow me carefully to understand the benefits of forgiveness, and you will be blessed in Jesus name!
Benefits of Forgiveness
- Freedom: Unforgiveness is a heavy burden. It stays with you and wears you down, thereby affecting many facets of your life. Unforgiveness erodes our wellness and grows bitterness and resentment. The weight of unforgiveness will continue to grow – hurting ourselves more than anyone else. When you forgive, your heart will be free and all the burden of bitterness will be all gone.
- Blessings: God will not bless anyone that is far from Him or holds grudges against people. The blessings of God go all out to anyone that truly forgives and forget.
- Improved health: Research shows that forgiving others actually leads to better physical health, and this is true! Better heart health is among the top physical benefits of forgiveness. Apparently, studies are showing a lower risk of heart attack, reduced blood pressure and better cholesterol levels when we choose forgiveness. Also, you will experience better sleep and reduced pain levels.
- Improved relationships: Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you (Ephesians 4:32). Forgiveness is a crucial skillset in a broken world. Therefore, the better we are at forgiving others, the better our relationships become. Improved relationships are big benefits of forgiveness.
- Healing: The choice to forgive someone who has hurt you is the first step towards healing. Healing will not come without forgiveness first. It is impossible to heal while holding on to bitterness and resentment. When you forgive, you are not saying what someone did was okay; rather, you are deciding to let go of the burden of stuck and unresolved emotions. Colossians 3:13 says, …as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
However, to truly forgive those who have wronged us, we must first receive God’s forgiveness, acknowledging our need before Him, which empowers us to forgive others. Thus, Christian forgiveness is vertical before it is horizontal. Throughout Scripture, our Lord intertwines His forgiveness of us with our forgiveness of others (Matthew 6:14–15). God’s command is always for our good. Forgiving those who have hurt us sets us free; it keeps bitterness from taking root in our lives and defiling us and everyone around us (Ephesians 4:31). When we cling to resentment, we unknowingly giving our offender ongoing power over our hearts, which keeps us enslaved to our anger. This prison we have created pulls us away from our Lord because we cannot hold on to bitterness and hold on to God at the same time.
Therefore, you have to consciously make the decision to let go because God has given you the strength to forgive. However, this cannot be achieved in the flesh; you need the help of the Holy Spirit. Most importantly, you must be born again for the Holy Spirit to dwell in you. If you are not born again, kindly say this prayer in faith: Dear Lord Jesus Christ, I come to You today. I am a sinner. Forgive me my sins and cleanse me with Your Blood. I accept You as my Lord and personal Saviour. Make me a child of God today. Thank You for delivering me from sin and satan to serve the living God, and thank You for accepting me into Your Kingdom.
Congratulations! If you prayed this simple prayer of faith with me, you are now born again and a child of God. He loves you and will never leave you. Therefore, read your Bible daily, strive to make peace with all men, obey God’s Word and seek a Christian fellowship (John 14:21). With this, you are guaranteed all-round rest and peace, in Jesus name! Call or write to share your testimonies with me through firstname.lastname@example.org, 07026385437 OR 08141320204.
For more insight, these books authored by me are available at the Dominion Bookstores in all Living Faith Churches and other leading Christian bookstores: Holy Spirit Your Helper and Growing in Grace.