THE HOMEMAKER (2)
I want you to know that having a successful marriage is possible, but it does not happen by chance; you must program yourself for it if you desire it. Nothing works until you make it work! You cannot be a good homemaker by wishing it. In the same vein, you cannot have a successful family life except you work it out. In the previous teaching, I discussed the attributes of a homemaker. This week, I will be sharing with you what I title, ‘Qualities of A Good Home Maker’. The homemaker must have some managerial abilities along with other qualities that make up a good homemaker.
1. Must be trustworthy: A woman who fears the Lord wants to love and honour her husband. Clearly, the Proverbs 31 woman’s husband affirmed her efforts because he said his heart trusted in her. He trusted her not just generally but in the deepest places (Proverbs 31:11). Does your husband trust you? Do you try to conduct your life privately and publicly to give him every reason to trust you? Do you speak well of him — always? You do not need to have special gifts to be trustworthy; you simply need to value your husband in a way that honours him and the Lord.
- Must be hardworking: The valiant woman ‘works with willing hands’ (Proverbs 31:13). That means you will choose to work tirelessly in pursuit of the household’s goals. ‘She rises while it is still night; she makes linen garments and sells them’ (Proverbs 31:15, 24). ‘With the fruit of her hands, she plants a vineyard’. With God’s help, we are all able to work hard, resist wasting time, and bring a willing and gracious spirit to the things we do too.
3. Intelligence: This is very important for every homemaker. Intelligence means intellect put to use. Therefore, the homemaker should use her intelligence in solving problems in everyday life. Intelligence is required in some tasks like proper selection and purchase of materials for the house, money management, care and upbringing of children. It is also required in solving the problems related to health and hygiene. Intelligence helps in solving problems and reaching set goals. This quality may help to develop other qualities like observation, understanding, thoughtfulness and systematisation. Also, a good memory is a great asset of the homemaker. An intelligent homemaker is found to use a lot of creativity and imagination in her decisions and judgements.
4. Enthusiasm: Enthusiasm is one of the mental qualities of a homemaker and a very good quality of a successful manager. This quality is a result of good mental and physical health. Enthusiasm helps a person become interested in an activity and stimulates higher levels of proficiency. An enthusiastic housewife can take interest in different aspects of household activities. By giving encouragement, she develops enthusiasm and becomes an example to others.
5. Perseverance: This is an important and valuable quality of the homemaker. She can solve the problems by the perseverance nature. The persevering person does not sit idle or give up her effort until the results are achieved. This quality plays an important role in the achievement of family goals. A person who possesses this quality will be able to recognise problems and find ways to overcome them courageously in all situations.
6. Ability of communicate: Management involves good communication with others. It is essential in working with others and putting the plans into action. Sharing of knowledge, feelings, desires and experiences among the family members strengthens the relationship between them. They can easily share and exchange their thoughts and opinions among themselves by proper guidance and encouragement of the homemaker. The homemaker can stimulate effective communication by listening to others silently and with interest. Planning and preparation of group activities like celebration of birthdays, special occasions, holidays, family vacations etc., help to develop harmonious relationship and good communication. Through love and sympathy, she can win the affection and respect of all the members of the family and still be able to solve all types of problems in the family.
However, all of these cannot be achieved without a personal relationship with God. Are you born again? If not, pray this prayer of salvation with me: Dear Lord Jesus Christ, I come to You today. I am a sinner. Forgive me my sins and cleanse me with Your Blood. I accept You as my Lord and personal Saviour. Make me a child of God today. Thank You for delivering me from sin and satan to serve the living God, and thank You for accepting me into Your Kingdom.
Congratulations, you are now born again and a child of God. He loves you and will help you in your marriage. With this, you are guaranteed sufficient grace to be a good homemaker! To share your testimonies with me, Call 08141320204 OR Email me at email@example.com. For more insight, these books authored by me are available at the Dominion Bookstores in all Living Faith Churches and other leading Christian bookstores, Understanding Motherhood, Raising Godly Children, Building a Successful Home and Success in Marriage.