Peace and blessings in the precious Name of our Lord, Jesus Christ. I am m sure you were blessed and I hope you have started seeing yourself as a leader. In this edition, I shall be sharing with you on self-leadership.Someone rightly said:The history of the world is full of men who rose to leadership, by sheer force of self-confidence, bravery and tenacity.
But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.(1 Peter 2:9).
What is self-leadership?
Self-leadership involves intentionally influencing your thinking, feelings and behaviour to achieve your core objectives in life. In other words, it is about leading yourself as you cannot give what you don’t have.
Effective self-leadership is usually validated by a clear sense of direction, a set of goals to achieve per time and a stream of results that show that one is on the right track Having developed a sense of who you are, what you can do, and where you are going. you will also need to influence your communication, emotions and behaviours on the way to getting there
“Getting in touch with your true self must be your first priority.” – Tom Hopkins.
You would never get to lead people effectively if you don’t know how to lead yourself properly when no one is watching you. So the question is how can I lead myself.
HOW TO LEAD YOURSELF
- Create an Inspiring Vision: Like you already know, a vision is a picture you have captured in your heart concerning what you want to happen or change around you. What can you see? What change do you see yourself influencing? Having this guiding picture is the very first step in leading yourself.
- Set Quality Goals for Yourself: Your vision or what you see would always lead you towards setting goals which would help you actualise your vision. Goals are the step-by-step milestones you meet up with on the way to attaining your dreams. That is, they are the logical steps that lead straight to your vision.
- Constant Personal Evaluation: The greatest way to observe changes in you is by being intentional about it. Great leaders evaluate themselves at every stage of their lives. Every now and then, you have to find out how far you’ve gone and the next steps you need to take in order at hit your goals.
- Develop Self-Discipline: The act of choosing to do what is important and necessary above your feelings. You may have crafted a vision and set goals, but you would also need to keep pushing yourself to make progress on this journey. You must discipline yourself to execute your vision.
- Practice Patience: Patience is a virtue which would always be necessary in leading one towards excellence. Sometimes, change won’t come overnight, but you have to keep working, don’t give up! Keep on keeping on until you see results. Great leaders are resilient people.
- Create a Value System: Values are what you stand for no matter what happens. As you learnt in previous courses, the values that you hold dear to you determine the kind of decisions you make at every point in time. All great leaders have a set of values that govern their lives.
- Learn to be accountable: Learn to be accountable to someone, preferably an elderly person or a mentor. Additionally, make yourself accountable and responsible for your decisions.
- Time Management: No matter how unequal the world becomes; everybody will be equal in one respect: we all have 24 hours every day to work with. How you use your time is totally dependent on you, and it will contribute greatly to what your future will eventually look like. Therefore, use your time effectively in order to get maximum results.
CORE SKILLS TO DEVELOP IN YOUR TEENAGE YEARS
Strategy: This is a step by step master plan that would bridge the gap between your goals and results. If vision is the answer to the question, “Where?” Strategy must be the answer to “How?” You may have a vision and a set of goals that lead to it, but you need a game plan to drive from one goal to another; this is where strategy comes in.
- Good Decision Making: Life opens us up to a lot of choices to make daily. The choices and decisions we make daily that shape our lives are based on our beliefs, philosophies and value systems. Don’t always make decisions at the spur of the moment, learn to analyse your decisions and understand some of the consequences that may come with them before actually making the decisions.
- Communication: No matter how great your vision or goals are, if you cannot communicate them effectively to your team, you lack a vital skill for effective leadership. No matter what you do on earth, you would have to, at some point, communicate with people. You must be able to pass on the vision you see effectively to those that you lead.
In conclusion, leadership is intentional; thus, leadership must start from you. You can’t lead others without leading yourself first; and leading yourself requires that you develop certain aptitudes and skills. But these cannot be possible without the help of the Holt Spirit and you cannot have the Holy spirit without being born again. If you are not yet born again and you desire to do so right now, please pray this prayer with faith in your heart: Dear Lord Jesus Christ, I come to You today. I am a sinner. Forgive me my sins and cleanse me with Your Blood. I accept You as my Lord and personal Saviour. Make me a child of God today. Thank You for delivering me from sin and satan to serve the living God and thank You for accepting me into Your Kingdom.
Congratulations! If you prayed this simple prayer of faith with me, you are now born again and a child of God. He loves you and will never leave you. Read your Bible daily, obey God’s Word and seek Christian fellowship (John 14:21).
With this, you are guaranteed a glorious future in Jesus’ Name! Call or write to share your testimonies with me through email@example.com, 07026385437 OR 08141320204.
For more insight, these books authored by me are available at the Dominion Bookstores in all Living Faith Churches and other leading Christian bookstore: Making Your Life Count and Ruling Your Word authored by Dr. David Oyedepo
June 12, 2019
April 25, 2019
April 16, 2019